Return to Year Index
The Hamilton Football Club (Hamilton F.C.) was formed on November 3 in a meeting over George Lee's fruit store. The team adopted the colors of black and orange, which would be modified to black and yelllow in 1873 and that would become the traditional colours of Hamilton football teams ever since. The nickname Tigers would be added in 1873. The Tigers would eventually merge in 1950 with another Hamilton team, the Wildcats, to form the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. The first game for Hamilton F.C. was on December 18 against the 13th Battalion (now known as the Royal Hamilton Ligh Infantry) at the baseball grounds. No score was recorded.